Our communities are facing an unprecedented level of uncertainty due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Many of you are feeling the hardships resulting from the necessary measures we must take to reduce the transmission and impact of this dangerous virus. We hope that you and the kids you care about are safe and healthy.
The pandemic is disrupting the lives and threatening the well-being and future of Washington’s children. Kids and their families need public systems that are nimble and responsive to what they need in these unprecedentedly challenging times.
For 37 years, Children’s Alliance has strengthened public systems in good times and bad. We are proud that our decades-long advocacy on behalf of our most vulnerable and marginalized children and their families has strengthened our state’s safety net, so it can better provide the kind of nutrition, health, and early learning supports that are so important in times like these.
But as this crisis unfolds, it is clear we must do more. Children’s Alliance is closely monitoring early policy responses on the state and national level, and already engaging with policymakers about prioritizing kids.
Racial justice in public policy always matters—and it matters incredibly in a public health crisis. This pandemic will have long-term consequences for all of us, and vulnerable and marginalized communities will face the most severe impacts. In the weeks and months to come, you can count on Children’s Alliance to keep doing what we always have—lift up the needs of children and families who are furthest from opportunity and advance racially equitable policies for all Washington kids.
Thanks to your partnership, kids can count on Children’s Alliance to:
• Assess public responses by asking the two questions at the core of our work: is it good for kids and will it move racial equity?
• Lead in our three public policy priority areas: early learning, child, family & community health, and fair and sufficient state revenues.
• Help fight the effects of the pandemic on kids and their families, particularly ensuring safety and meeting basic needs.
Kids need your understanding of community and your continued advocacy.
• Tell us about the impact the pandemic is having on the kids and families you know, love, and serve. Email Paola [at] childrensalliance [dot] org
• Be ready to take action with state and federal policymakers – kids need policymakers to rise to the challenge of these times.
Together, we are the powerful, collective voice kids need right now!
Wishing safety and health for you and all you hold dear,
p.s. Your support fuels nimble, equity-focused advocacy. Please consider a gift to strengthen our ability to respond to emerging threats to the well-being and future of Washington kids.
p.p.s. Thank you for your kind inquiries -- our staff are well and staying safe by working from home.